Points-based System for Highly-Skilled Foreign Professionals
In order to attract Highly-Skilled foreign professionals, Japanese Immigration launched Point-based system in 2012.
If the total points reach 70 points, preferential immigration treatment will be granted to the relevant person, with the aim of promoting the acceptance of highly-skilled foreign professionals in Japan.
There are classified into three categories.
Highly-Skilled Professional(i)(a) – Advanced Academic Research activities
Highly-Skilled Professional(i)(b) – Advanced Specialized / Technical activities
Highly-Skilled Professional(i)(c) – Advanced Business Management activities
Advantage of Highly-Skilled Professional (i)
- Permission for multiple activities
- Grant of the “5 years”period of stay
- Faster pathway to permanent residence
- Permission for the spouse of the highly-skilled foreign professional to work
- Permission for bringing a parent(s) to accompany the highly-skilled foreign professional to Japan under certain conditions
- Permission for a domestic worker to accompany the highly-skilled foreign professional to Japan under certain conditions
- Preferential processing of entry and residence procedures
(processing time is around 2-4weeks)
Pathway to Permanent Resident
・Basically, in order to apply for permanent residence, a foreign national is required to stay continuously in Japan for 10 years or more.
・However, the applicant who has engaged in activities as a highly-skilled foreign professional for 3 years is eligible to apply for Permanent Resident.
・Alternatively, if the applicant reaches over 80 point and has engaged in activities as a highly-skilled foreign professional for 1year, the applicant is eligible to apply for Permanent Resident.
・Must eligible to meet one of those three categories’ work visa requirements.
・Must reach 70 points as total (Age, Education, Work experience, Salary and other bonus points).